About Marks Hall

Known as Mercheshala in Saxon times Marks Hall was occupied after the Norman conquest by the Merkshall family who took their name from the Estate. In 1605 it was bought by Robert Honywood.  Following a dispute over the inheritance, the Estate was sold at auction in 1897 to Thomas Phillips Price.... Read more about A Brief History »

Before Marks Hall Thomas Phillips Price was born in 1844, the son of the Reverend Canon William Price, vicar of Llanarth. At the age of twenty-three years he inherited the fortune of his unmarried uncle, Sir Thomas Phillips. Following the Liberals' defeat in the General Election of 1880, Thomas stood as... Read more about Thomas Phillips Price »

In 1941 Marks Hall was requisitioned for use as a Headquarters and utility for Earls Colne Airfield. The airfield construction started in September 1941, with concrete runways, a station hospital, mess halls, bomb shelters, a control tower and many ancillary buildings being built. Marks Hall mansion was adapted to serve as... Read more about Marks Hall at War »

On the death of Mrs Price in 1966, the Director of the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew and the government officials concerned viewed Thomas Phillips Price’s bequest to the nation with some misgivings. The house had gone, the grounds including the old walled garden had become over-grown with a jungle of... Read more about Marks Hall Estate »